How do I successfully apply to study at UNISA? There are 7 easy steps to follow if you want to know how to apply at UNISA:
- Choose your qualification
- Fill in the UNISA online form
- Submit the required documents
- Receive your student number
- Pay the application fee
- Wait for a response
- Register your subjects
What UNISA says about the application process
Here is what UNISA says about the application process
- You may apply for a maximum of two qualifications, ranked in order of preference (although you may only register for one should both of your qualifications be successful).
- Unisa will inform you of the outcome of your application. If successful, Unisa will indicate for which qualification you have been accepted and will offer you a space for the period for which you have applied (ie either semester 1 or semester 2).
- You must accept or decline Unisa’s offer within the prescribed period of time.
- If you accept Unisa’s offer, you must register for the period for which you have been granted admission (ie semester 1 or semester 2). Should you not register for the relevant semester of study, you will need to re-apply for admission during the next application period.
UNISA application is not difficult
The great thing about UNISA is that they have been refining their application over many years.
It is fully online, and the system guides you through all the decisions you need to make on what to study, and then you can upload all your documents and apply!
REMEMBER: Do not start the process until you have all your documents ready. The reason why most students are rejected from the university is that they do not supply all the documents. Or they do not submit the documents in a way that UNISA wants them to submitted.
UNISA application checklist
This is the application checklist that UNISA gives you to check off when applying to study at the university.
- I have chosen my Unisa qualification
- I have checked that I meet the detailed admission requirements for my qualification of choice
- I have applied online
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my school qualifications (eg Senior Certificate)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my official tertiary academic record (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my ID document (RSA students) or passport (foreign students)
- I have uploaded/submitted a certified copy of my marriage certificate or divorce decree (if applicable)
- I have uploaded/submitted sworn translations of my documents if they are not in English or Afrikaans
- I have submitted/submitted my application with the supporting documentation before the closing date for applications
- I will pay the application fee within 5 days of being informed of my reference number
How long does the application process take?
It takes around 6 months from application, to hearing whether you will get in or not, to starting your studies.
There are usually two application periods, in April and in August. You need to register to study in the following registration period if you are accepted, or you will have to start over.
So if you apply in August and are accepted you must study in January or you will have to reapply.
What if I want to study now?
If you do not want to wait that long why not consider other distance learning institutions? We highly recommend Skills Academy, or TWP Academy. Both offer fully accredited diploma level qualifications.
The best bit? no application period! You can apply to study at any time in the year and be studying within a few days. You are guaranteed to be accepted if you meet the entrance criteria, and the qualifications cost a fraction of the price of a degree.
Skills Academy offers the following fully accredited programs:
- CIMA management accounting (A professional qualification on the same level as a degree)
- Business Management diploma
- Financial Accounting diploma
- Office Administration diploma
- Entrepreneurship diploma
- Public Sector Accounting diploma
If you want to know more about these qualifications please fill in this form and an advisor will call you back: http://www.skillsacademy.co.za/twp-call-back/.
Last updated: November 29, 2017